1. Wooden Articular church (UNESCO)
The wooden Protestant church is a part of UNESCO heritage.
The church is built in the style of folk Baroque.
Huge painted dome is supported by four spiral columns
and external walls. The ground fl oor and choirs
can welcome more than 1,500 people.
2. New evangelical church in Kežmarok
In the second half of the 19th century Kežmarok Protestants
decided to build a new, more representative
temple. The building has no uniform building style. It
contains elements of Byzantine, Romanesque, Renaissance,
Moorish and even various oriental styles.
3. Evangelical Lyceum Kežmarok
The fi rst reports on the existence of Kežmarok schools
are from the years 1383 – 1392. After 1531 the school
became Protestant grammar school in which academic
classes with the departments of philosophy, law and
theology were created, and thus the school changed
into a lyceum. The Lyceum building features the largest
school historical library in the Central Europe. The library
has 150,000 volumes on all disciplines and in diff erent
4. Kežmarok Castle – Museum
The castle belongs to the type of the so-called town castles–
it was built right in the city of Kežmarok in order
to defend it against enemies. In the end, however, its
owners fought against Kežmarok that did not want to
give up its rights of a free royal town and become just
an ordinary liege town. The last owner of the castle was
Ferdinand Rueber from whom the city purchased the
castle in 1702.
5. Roman – catholic church St. cross, Belfry
St. Cross‘ origins date back to the Slavic settlement, as
evidenced by the centuries-used name Windischgrund
/ Slavic lands /. The oldest stone parts of the church dates
from the fi rst half of the 13th century. The interior of
the church is mostly Gothic – side altars, baptismal font,
stallum. The Renaissance bench under the choir, where
the city council with a mayor sat, is from 1518. Near the
church there is the Renaissance bell tower from 1591,
and is considered the most beautiful Spiš campanile.
6. Old Market – the oldest street in Kežmarok
The Old market is considered one of the oldest streets
in Kežmarok – the majority of houses date from the
13th century. On the upper and lower end of the street
are typical Spiš craft stores. Behind the craft stores is the
torso of town fortifi cations. The house no. 39 is the place
where students gathered – the members of a secret
society Mor ho!, who were for their beliefs excluded
from all Ungrian schools.
Kežmarok information center
Hlavné námestie, Kežmarok
+421 52 449 21 35
Po-Pia 9:00 -13:00; 14:00 – 17:00
7. Square of Master Paul
Is lined with imposing gothic and renaissance houses,
mostly from the period of 14th – 15th century. The reminder
for this famous period are the Thurzo House
with renaissance attic and sgrafi to, Large provincial
house which belongs to one of most beautiful houses
in the former Kingdom of Hungary, architecturally valuable
Hain‘s House, Schwab palace with a remarkable
arcade yard, Mariássy‘s House with a late gothic stone
portal and Spillenberg‘s House decorated with shells.
The square is dominated by the St. James‘s Church,
Town Hall and the Evangelical Church. Favorite tourist
attraction is the Cage of shame
8. St. James‘s Church (UNESCO)
The town´s treasure, the gothic monument of artistic
and historical value, the largest sacral building on Spiš
and the second largest monument in Slovakia. The
actual sanctuary with the highest late gothic wooden
wing altar in the world (height – 18.62 m, width – 6.27
meter) was created by the wood carver Master Paul
from Levoča. With the collection of other wooden altars,
rare wall paintings and other valuable furniture together
with the work of Baroque goldsmith Ján Szilassy
they belong to the national monuments.
9. Town hall
Was rebuilt to its present form in years 1893 – 1895.
Above the Renaissance arcades on the southern facade
of the building are painted allegorical fi gures
representing the fi ve civil virtues of year 1615 – carefulness
bravery moderation, patience and justice. They
depict female characters and several of the allegories
are accompanied by inscriptions based on ideas of Humanism.
Inside is a museum and one of its interesting
expositions is also the picture of the legendary White
Lady of Levoča and a piece of her dress.
10. The cage of shame
Is a medieval hexagonal pillory which comes from the
16th century. It stands on a solid foundation next to the
Town hall and is made of iron bars, decorated with hearts
and shells. It was used for punishing people, serving
their sentences for crimes against applicable laws and
morality, excluding the capital punishments. In the same
way they also punished women who went into the street
during the night, unaccompanied by their men.
11. Master Paul´s House
A museum is placed within this medieval gothic house
with preserved gothic cusped portal and facade decorated
with shells. It is dedicated to the life and work of
one of the most important masters of late Gothic – carver
Master Paul from Levoča and was recognized as an extraordinary
contribution to the world cultural heritage
12. Basilica of the visitation of virgin Mary
on Marian hill
The church is an affi liate of the main Marian Basilica in
Rome – the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, with full
rights and indulgences. Inside is situated an altar with
a gothic statue of the Virgin Mary, that comes from the
period around the year 1470. The way to the basilica is
lined with lime alley, which was named after the Holy Father
„Alley of John Paul II.“ based on the 10th anniversary
of his visit. Parts of the alley are fi ve chapels commemorating
the people and events from the life of Virgin Mary.
Information office of town Levoča
Námestie Majstra Pavla 58
+421 53 451 37 63
MÁJ – SEPTEMBER
pondelok – nedeľa: 9.00 – 17.00
OKTÓBER – APRÍL
pondelok – piatok: 8.30 – 16.30
13. SPiŠ castle
The ruins of the castle that tower over the 200 m high
travertine attract your attention from distant surroundings.
The name of the county Spiš is derived from the
name of this monumental building. The castle dates
back to the mid 12th century although long before it
there was a Celtic settlement, and later on a Slavic fortifi
ed settlement on the neighboring hill. To this date
the castle still surprises with its monumental architecture
and large surface area that ranks the castle among
the largest in Europe. It was the seat of the main Spiš
district administrators (also known as župans), and was
inhabited until the end of the 17th century. Its owners –
the family Csáky – then moved to more modern manor
houses in Bijacovce, Hodkovce, and others.
14. SPiŠ kapitula
Spiš Kapitula, the clerical town with a characteristic Cathedral
with two Romanesque towers, stands on the
hill opposite the castle. Since 1776 it has been the seat
of the Spiš bishopric. The most prominent relics are the
Romanesque sculpture „White lion“, altar in the chapel
Zápoľský and wonderful renaissance epitaphs of Imrich
and Štefan Zápoľský.
15. SPIŠ JERUZALEM
In Spiš Kapitula and in the location called Pažica experts
discovered the unique concept of the territory that looks
like Jerusalem. The hypothesis on the existence of
„Spiš Jerusalem“ was also confi rmed by historians. This
monument aimed to allow worshippers to experience
a crusade in time when a pilgrimage to the Holy Land
16. SPiŠSke podhradie
The area under the castle was a lively craft village.
Since the 17th century there has been a hospital and
a monastery of Merciful Brothers. From the rich interior
of the Catholic church only a few paintings and
a gothic baptistery have been preserved. The city used
to be a home to over 600 Jews after whom only a synagogue
17. ŽEHRA (UNESCO)
The village Žehra is an important archaeological site.
The ancient early Gothic church of the Holy Spirit is to
be found there. In its interior there are valuable Gothic
sculptures from the early 15th century and stone baptismal
font from the 13th century. In Hodkovce, the local
area of Žehra, there is a baroque manor house from
1703 with a maintained French park. The park and
a part of the manor house are opened to visitors although
they serve as a social service house.
+421 53 454 13 36
18. RENAiSSANCE BELL TOWERS in SPIŠ
Bell towers are robust tetrahedral buildings with huge
windows shaped as towers from the Renaissance period.
Although they were mostly built in the church
area, they did not serve religious purposes. Cities and
towns used them as watchtowers that alarmed the
people when the city was in danger. These are unique
buildings in Europe. You can fi nd them for example in
Kežmarok, Vrbov, Spišská Belá, Ľubica, Poprad, Spišská
Sobota, Podolínec or Strážky.
More info about the project: http://zvonice.nzw.sk/
19. THE GOTHIC ROUTE
It is a thematic, cultural-educational route. It presents
interesting and the most precious treasures of the Spiš-
-Gemer region in a comprehensive way. The route is
divided into four sections – Spiš – Gemer, Pieniny, Tatras
and Gemer – Rimava. The routes are marked with road
signs and sites have information boards.
More info about the project:
Múzeá a galérie
1. Červený Kláštor Museum
This national cultural monument, offi cially Lechnický
monastery, is situated in the picturesque place where
Lipník meets Dunajec in Peniny. The monastery originally
served to the Carthusian Order, later Camadul monks.
The museum exhibition presents the history and monastic
life of the mentioned orders together with rare monuments
not only from Červený Kláštor but also from all
over the North Spiš.
Pod lipami č. 20, 059 06 Červený Kláštor
+421 52 482 20 57
2. Museum of Dr. Michal Greisiger in Spišská
The Museum of Michael Greisiger, situated in his house,
presents the life and activities of the polyhistor and
town doctor from Spišská Belá together with the history
and ethnographic specifi cs of the town. While working
as a town doctor, Greisiger keenly examined Spiš fl ora
and fauna and did some archaeological research in the
region. The exhibition features evidence of his scientifi c
hobbies, furniture, and tools from his doctor’s practice.
Hviezdoslavova 21, Spišská Belá +421 52 459 13 22
3. Museum of J. M. Petzval in Spišská Belá.
The museum displays the lifework of J. M. Petzval with
an overview of the development of optical imaging
up to the fi rst image that in the 19th century became
known as a photography. There are also photocopies
of the most famous lens‘ price calculation, metal camera
used for daguerreotype photos, Petzval lens and other
valuable results of his works. Petzval’s discovery is known
for boosting the photographic industry.
05901 Spišská Belá
+421 52 459 13 07
4. The manor house Strážky – Spišská Belá
The manor house belonged to the family Horvath-Stansith
and later the family Medňanský and Czóbel. After
the death of the last owner in 1972, the manor house’s
administrator became the Slovak National Gallery. The
permanent exhibition shows the work of Ladislav Mednyánsky,
historical library collection, and manor house’
furniture. Today, the manor house organizes various
cultural programs and The Manor House Games. The
extensive area of the manor house and the adjacent
English park ending in the Poprad river off ers its visitors
a pleasant relaxation.
6. The exposition of historical vehicles –
Castle Museum Kežmarok
The exhibition of historical vehicles and fi refi ghting equipment
displays unique cars and motorbikes. The collection
contains, for example, Praga Alpha Phaeton in which
Tomáš Baťa traveled around Poprad when looking for
a location for his new „factory” that was later built up in
Svit, the unique fi re truck Škoda 154 (1929), the only one
of its kind in Europe, Škoda Popular (1937 – 1938) and
Hradné námestie 42, 060 01 Kežmarok +421524280072,+421918742726 email@example.com www.kezmarok.com
7. S NM (Slovak national museum)
– Spiš museum in Levoča
It administers three exhibitions – Town Hall, Master´s
Paul House and Exhibition area. Exhibition in the Town
Hall is dedicated to the history of the city and represents
the development in sculpture and painting works, as
well as the development of artistic crafts in Spiš region.
Many exhibitions, lectures, concerts and conferences
are taking place here. All questions about the medieval
wood-carver, whose name is connected to the history of
Levoča, are being answered in the Master´s Paul House.
The exhibition hall of the museum is used for several exhibitions
throughout the year. Another exposition of the
museum is Spiš castle (UNESCO) in Spišské Podhradie.
Námestie Majstra Pavla 40
+421 53 451 27 86
8. City gallery of Levoča
Is situated in the historic Mariassy´s House together with
valuable stone portal. It is a great place for artistic discussions
and meetings, but also a great exhibition, not only
for artists from Levoča.
Námestie Majstra Pavla 43
9. Museum of special education
Is a specialized institution with a Slovakia-wide scope.
Among the interesting expositions that the museum
presents, not only in its permanent exhibition, but also in
its expositions, are special pedagogical tools, work equipment
and the work of students from special schools
Námestie Majstra Pavla 28
+421 53 451 28 63
10. The Ski Museum in Tatranska Lomnica
The museum is dedicated to the history, origin and development
of winter sports in the High Tatras from the very
beginning until 1945. The biggest attraction for visitors
are 3,07 meters long ski from 1885, the exhibition of old
bobsleigh and workshop for the manufacture of skis, ski
poles, and ski boots.
059 60 Tatranská Lomnica 97
+421 905 592 858